Current Exhibitions

Gift Shop | Starkweather Arts Center, Romeo, MI, Ongoing
The Gallery | St. Clair Art Association, St. Clair, MI, Ongoing

03 January 2015

Good Riddance 2014

Looking back, a lot of positive things happened for me in 2014:
  • was accepted in three art shows
  • won an award and sold one of my artbooks
  • met William Shatner
  • met Joe Perry with my niece Brittany
  • went to an Aerosmith concert with my husband
  • took a fabulous workshop with Seth Apter
  • went to Portland, Spain, Chicago, Las Vegas, Cleveland and Aruba
But even with all that goodness, the "Worst Event Ever" that could happen, did.
Not once, but twice. My heart is so beaten up I don't know how long it's going to take to heal.

At the beginning of 2014, my mom, Beverly Beene, was diagnosed with bladder cancer. In and out of rehab and hospital, by August we had to call in hospice and my mom at, age 75, left this world. It's been harder than I thought it would be to go on without her. I stayed with her the final weeks, trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Her voice was reduced to a whisper the last few weeks and I knew she was leaving me. I know in my heart she is at peace and is free from the pain of living in this earthly shell. But it's still hard not having her here.


It's been about six months and I was starting to get used to Mom not being here, then the second "worst ever" happened and this one is not even beginning to sink in  and I can't see how it ever will.

 
On Christmas Day, the woman who I have called my best friend for over 30 years, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke and died. Priscilla Marie Meddaugh (or should I say Dr. Priscilla Meddaugh) is gone. I won't be able to call her up and talk about Mom or tell her about a cool art technique or laugh at some silliness that only the two of us found humorous. We met in college as roommates and became life long friends.


I spent today with my other close friend, Felicia. I am so blessed to have her in my life. I don't know how I would ever get through this without her and my husband. We all went to school together. We are all grieving together. I can't believe Priscilla is gone.

Dr. Priscilla Marie Meddaugh & Beverly Jean Beene

And I can't believe I've lost two of the most important women in my life this year.
Rest in peace, Momma. Rest in peace, my dear sweet friend.
 
Worst. Year. EVER.
 
All I can say is good riddance.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a lot of us has a bad 2014! I am also looking forward to a better 2015.

    Kim
    Swap-Bot: Kimber

    ReplyDelete