Current Exhibitions

Gift Shop | Starkweather Arts Center, Romeo, MI, Ongoing
The Gallery | St. Clair Art Association, St. Clair, MI, Ongoing

17 November 2008

November snow

Yes, we had our first official snowfall yesterday. Big giant flakes that stayed and didn't melt away. I was at my local Borders enjoying a cup of green tea latte with soy, reading the various magazines I no longer have access through work (HOW, Communication Arts) and a few others that I enjoy but don't feel the need to have a subscription.

The snow came in waves. Once when I'd look up from the page, the large store front window was filled with huge white floating flakes, then later, barely visible tiny specks. On my drive home, I noticed the trees devoid of clothing standing stark and bare revealing their true selves. Each unique and individual with the light coating of snow making them even more beautiful in their bareness. I noticed the squirrel and bird nests tucked away high in the branches. I was imagining how to draw the shapes of the tree trunks and the delicate lines of each branch. I need to get outside today and take some reference pictures.

I bought a book "Life is a Verb" by Patti Digh and even though I haven't started reading it yet I'm recommending just on the visuals and quotes that are dispersed through the pages. The subtitle is "37 days to wake up, be mindful, and live intentionally." I was hooked after reading an excerpt on Amazon that had me in tears by the end of the story about Sissy. And this quote from Part One:
We inhabit ourselves without valuing ourselves,
unable to see that here, now,
this very moment is sacred;
but once it's gone--
its value is incontestable.
Joyce Carol Oates

My latest project is a felted octopus that I plan on offering at the Artfest art show. So far I have the main body shape crocheted (yes, crocheted not knitted, two needles--too confusing) and one leg. I'm making him out of olive green wool yarn and plan on adding light green and blue beads. I'll post a photo when I get all the legs done:) This is a non-patterned object (haven't learned how to read patterns yet) and I have a propensity for crocheting in the round...everything I try ends up looking like a bowl. The legs are a bit of a challenge but I think I figured it out. Besides the wonderful thing about crocheting is just pulling it all out and starting over if you make mistake:)

2 comments:

  1. I almost wish I hadn't read your blog tonight because the book I'm working on is called "Create is a Verb"! I immediately went to amazon to check out Patti Digh's book, and fortunately her approach is different than mine. Still, I'm glad I have documentation to prove that I'd come up with my title several years ago. I'll have to read hers though, that's for sure. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that you had a blog, Brenda! I found you through Susan's blog. I'm hoping to see you again at ArtFest in April!

    ReplyDelete