Current Exhibitions

Gift Shop | Starkweather Arts Center, Romeo, MI, Ongoing
The Gallery | St. Clair Art Association, St. Clair, MI, Ongoing

15 August 2017

Woodcut Workshop with Nobuko Yamasaki



Last month, I was fortunate to land a spot in a wonderful workshop at the Grosse Pointe Art Association that was taught by the talented Nobuko Yamasaki. Nobuko was born in Osaki, Japan, studied printmaking in Kyoto and teaches the traditional Japanese method of handmade printing. It was a great way to spend the weekend with two days of instruction in the woodcut process. And the best part was being able to create prints without a press, just use a little elbow grease:)

Nobuko started by showing the class examples of various styles of woodcut printing. Then she helped the students choose which image to use for the project. I had manipulated several different photos in Photoshop to get the images down to a strict black and white format. I figured it would be easier to prep the images ahead of time so I could get right into the carving. These were a few of the images I was considering.


These are the two images I eventually used to create the woodcuts. The sunflower is one of my photographs and the image of Steven Tyler is from a photo reference I found online.


I really enjoyed the whole process. It did take a little bit of time to get the images carved but the actual printing was just as much fun.

The Grosse Pointe Art Association is sponsoring a show this month called Art Makers at The War Memorial and any student from a GPAA class is eligible to submit. I'm entering my Tyler print and a small artist book that I made called "PODerings" (because I was wondering about pods:). I created 8 different images approximately 4x6 and made over 100 impressions until I got the final prints to bind in the book.

*** UPDATE } Both pieces made it into the show  ***

These are the pieces I've submitted to the show.

PODerings



PODerings -- Eight 4x6 india ink prints on paper,
folded in half and bound in book form.


No comments:

Post a Comment