Current Exhibitions

Gift Shop | Starkweather Arts Center, Romeo, MI, Ongoing

15 January 2014

HAPPY 2014! Starting on a positive note:)



Hearing that my artbook, "Reflections Unacquainted" was accepted into the Michigan Annual XLI at The Anton Art Center in Mt. Clemens made me a very happy camper this week. The juror was Gilda Snowden and I am very honored that she chose my book. This is definitely some much needed encouragement and validation to confirm that these little books can be a viable direction for my creative endeavors. The show runs from January 24 - February 21 with the opening reception on Friday, January 24, 6-8 PM.

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions. Instead, I've decided to narrow my focus and dig a little deeper into making art books this year. I love gathering random ephemera and seeing what new relationships and meaning are formed in the juxtaposition of unrelated items.

And I confess that I have an ulterior motive. My destashing/organizing obsession of late has led me to see that I need to use the supplies I have on hand to quell the overspill of ephemera and found objects that have been squirreled away all these years. Why I am holding on to all of it? I've decided to challenge myself and see if I can get through this year without purchasing new supplies (except for glue, paint and tape) and use what I have on hand. It's fun to rummage through my boxes and find stuff that I haven't see in a while. And this will definitely be a boon to my pocketbook:)

I also decided I needed to fill the creative well. I have really missed my yearly pilgrimage to Artfest. I signed up for a mixed media online class with Misty Mawn called Full Circle. I'm hoping this is the kick I need to wake up my creative muse, which of late has felt like she's been in a coma! The class starts next week and I'm getting so excited! 12 weeks of inspiration:) YAY!

I am looking forward to this year, hoping for good things to happen creatively and I hope the same for you. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my sporadic thoughts.

Happy New Year and happy creating:)

No comments:

Post a Comment