Current Exhibitions

Gift Shop | Starkweather Arts Center, Romeo, MI, Ongoing
The Gallery | St. Clair Art Association, St. Clair, MI, Ongoing

19 August 2018

Cover Story: Thread of Connection

Thread of Connection

*****UPDATE***** This little book about my Grandma placed first in the show:) Thanks Grandma!

When the call for entry for the theme of "Cover Story" was sent out by the Starkweather Arts Center a little book I had started in a Seth Apter workshop years ago immediately came to mind.

I found the book and started looking at the patchwork of mixed papers and it reminded me of a quilt. That led me to a stash of my Grandma Thrasher's craft supplies (crochet hooks, embroidery threads, tissue patterns, fabric strips and a collection of linen goods) that I had saved over the years. Grandma was always doing something creative...painting on the edge of pillow cases, embroidering a table runner or making clothes for me and my Mom, including Mom's wedding dress. She was also a very good baker.

I was only nine when she passed away at age 57. I was too young to learn much of her domestic skills, but I think being around her still rubbed off. Although I'm not a great seamstress, I am drawn to stitch work, handmade quilts, doilies and I love to bake. Also, I grew up to have a career as a graphic designer and now a mixed media artist. I wanted this little book to be a celebration of her creativity and an acknowlegement of her influence on my creative direction -- our thread of connection.

The inside covers are covered with vintage fabric strips that
I think my Grandma used to make rag rugs. I found a few
things of hers that had a butterfly motif so I included this
crocheted embellishment.

Grandma painted designs onto fabric using "Liquid Stitch"
paint tubes. A close-cut sample of a flower is attached to the
left page. Grandma was also a devout Christian and participated
in many church functions. I included some hymnal sheet music
on a foldout flap.

The flap also includes the spine off an old family Bible and
another hymn sheet attached as a gel medium transfer that
allows some of the patchwork background to show through.

Grandma loved growing flowers and her poppies were glorious.
I collaged a pressed poppy petal to the page and layered some
close-cut poppies from a printed handkerchief.

This spread has some embroidery stitch samples I tore off the
pattern instructions. I thought it would be fun to actually use
real thread to sew through the pattern to create the stitches.

Grandma was a great seamstress and made many of my baby
clothes as well as her own. The swatch of fabric behind the
measuring tape is the fabric used to make the dress that my
Mom is wearing in the adjacent photo.

Although I didn't have Grandma in my life for very long,
I credit her with instilling in me an interest for the handcrafts.

In addition to the quirky fabric swatch that has an elephant and
a giraffe, I collaged a few vintage embroidery thread wrappers
onto the adjacent page.

This spread includes actual samples of her embroidery work cut
from a table runner. Sample vintage fabric swatches are included
throughout the book. I first stitched them to pattern tissue and
then glued them to the pages with PVA glue. Many of the fabric
swatches are over 50 years old.

I always remembered doilies being a big part of Grandma's house
decor. I found a few doily crochet patterns as well as small crochet
hooks so I wanted to make sure to include one in the book.

The final spread includes a quilted heart bearing her name:
Leatha Thrasher.

Both covers were created with repurposed vintage book covers.
Image transfers of dress pattern envelope illustrations were
applied and sanded smooth to remove any leftover paper fibers.
The front cover (see first image above) includes some tatting
lace that created a border for the picture as well as another
sample of her embroidery stitching. The back cover has
more fabric swatches attached near the spine.

Starkweather Arts Center worked with the Friends of the Romeo Public Library to promote this community art show that centered around using old discarded book covers to tell a personal story. I was pleasantly surprised recently to learn that my little book ended up tying for first place:)

https://www.facebook.com/StarkweatherArts/?hc_ref=ARRlVOBGaq_DSSt-XK0ZtCnIJYvvjanoyFnLkdvERZG3_lu7mx8U_54itcX8gCivrOo&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARCcE7TZcsjnYw8kkbfMclcLkIxGUSxwEf0j_PHaf0kmT_tIYr3V02tSO4rgJrAYHLDlqlpy3dZe1RdZBSd-s6Mj4X1MVkYxiDmJidz3hu-2spf-r5iisr1H1WFOTbdYGUz6U6vXNqti&__tn__=kC-R

The show will be up until August 23rd and then all of the prize winning pieces will be on display at the Graubner Library (65821 Van Dyke, Washington, MI 48095) after Starkweather show.

No comments:

Post a Comment